Skin allergies are not that severe every time but, they may be quite dangerous. Mild allergic reactions can be treated with the basic ointments and antiseptic cremes but, the severe ones need proper attention and immediate treatment.
What is allergic reaction?
Allergic reaction is a condition in which the immune system reacts abnormally with the foreign substance. It may differ according to the situation, it may be a drug reaction, food allergy etc.
What are the symptoms of allergic reaction?
The symptoms of allergic reaction may vary on what you are allergic to. The following body parts may react when you are allergic :
- Digestive system
Other symptoms may include the following :
- Nausea & vomiting
- Short of breath
- Redness of skin
- Runny and stiffy nose
- Watery and bloodshot eyes
What if allergic reactions becomes severe?
If the allergic reactions become severe it can cause Anaphylaxis. This reaction occurs minutes before exposure and if left untreated, it can cause severe respiratory issues and cardiac arrest. The symptoms can be the following :
- Pale skin, hives, itchy skin
- Facial swelling
- Weak and fast pulse
- Dizziness and fainting
- Trouble while breathing
How to deal with anaphylaxis?
Call the emergency helpline number in case of a person experiencing any of the following symptoms. Till the help arrives, the attendant need to follow the below mentioned guidelines :
- Avoid giving any liquid medicines in case the person is having trouble breathing.
- Make the person lie flat on the ground with his legs elevated with the help of some pillows.
- Never put a pillow beneath the head of the person.
- If the patient is not able to move, do not force as it can increase the chances of head or leg injury.
An emergency can knock your door any time, all you need is a good presence of mind and updated with the emergency measures to be taken. Stay alert, stay healthy!