It happens quite often when people complain pain and swelling around joints or stiffness and difficulty in performing daily activities. Yes, it can be due to excessive activity done or tiredness but what would be the scenario when none of the above reasons prove to be the culprit.
In some cases the culprit can be Arthritis! The vital disease can eat up your strength and can make your joints weak.
What is Arthritis?
Arthritis means joint inflammation but the term defines around 200 rheumatic diseases and conditions that affect joints, the tissues that surround the joint, and other connective tissues. There are various kinds of Arthritis which affect the body brutally resulting in weak joints.
What are the causes of Arthritis?
There is no single cause which can be pointed out as the main offender, multiple causes give birth to Arthritis. While some can inherit the disease from their parents or Grand parents, others can face issue due to a regular excessive physical work, previous injury, infections or smoking.
Some causes can be categorized as unhealthy food habits which lead to inflammation in joints, below is the list of some-
- Animal derived food items
- High in refined sugar
- Items which do not support the immune system
- Items which increase uric acid
- High protein diet
As per the doctors, the food items which are rich in refined sugar or derived from animal can increase the risk of the disease. One should avoid high protein diet at night as it results in increase of uric acid which in turn makes the immune system weak.
What are the types of Arthritis?
There are somewhere around 200 types of Arthritis which can be divide into 7 main groups-:
- Inflammatory arthritis
- Degenerative or mechanical arthritis
- Soft tissue musculoskeletal pain
- Connective tissue disease
- Infectious arthritis
- Metabolic arthritis
- Lower Back pain or Back Pain
What are the symptoms of Arthritis?
Arthritis is a chronic disease and it’s symptoms can be as varied as it’s types, they can be long term, sudden, come and go or even persist for a long time. Below mentioned are the four basic symptoms which are the super warning signs for the disease, you may consult a doctor if the symptom persists :-
- Pain : It can occur in any part of the body, may it be your hands and legs or your back, it can fluctuate or carry on for a long time.
- Swelling : Some types of Arthritis can incur red and swelled up skin on or around your joints which can be felt a little warm on touching.
- Stiffness : This too is a common symptom, a person having the disease can experience stiffness at the time of walking, moving after a long pause, stiff muscles after exercise.
- Difficulty in moving : One can face issues while getting up from a chair as it can put some pressure on the joint.
What can be done to treat Arthritis?
The situations seems to be difficult enough to make you stick to a chair but treatments are still present, the following treatments can be followed to get rid of all types of Arthritis-:
- Non pharmacologic therapies
- Physical or occupational therapies
- Splints or joint assistive therapies
- Patient education and support
- Weight loss
- Joint replacement surgery
These are some while the best would be to consult a doctor and get the correct advice!