Nature is full of surprises and the fascinating process of climate changes are one of them. In India, we have 4 major seasons including summer, monsoon, spring and winter. Among these four seasons, summers remain for most of the time of the year. In some parts of the country, the temperature can even reach above 48 degrees Celsius.
This scorching heat is enough to drain the water and glucose levels of our bodies. our bodies are designed to cope up with this heat only if we take care of it very well. For this, we need to eat and drink the right things at right time. There are several foods that keep the body warm and cool.
To know about the food items that help our bodies to stay cool are listed below :-
- Watermelon : Melons are approx. 90% water and that is why they should be an essential part of our summer diet. Melons are tasty and easily found in almost every city. Apart from its rich water content and good taste, watermelon contains Vitamin-A, B1, B6, C, lycopene, manganese, and various anti-oxidant enzymes that keep our bodies fresh and hydrated.
- Citrus Fruits : Though not every species of citrus fruits is available in India, especially during summers, we always get access to plenty of Sweet Limes (Mausambi). It is one of the most common fruit that is loved by the Indians when it comes to quench thirsts and get a tangy feeling on our taste buds. Sweet Lime is rich in Vitamin C, calcium, Iron, Phosphorus, and potassium.
- Plums : You will fall in love with this fruit! This small but amazing fruit is different from all other fruits and contains a good amount of juice, or say water content. The fruit is also very convenient to carry and you neither need a knife or fork to treat yourselves with this delicious fruit. Plums are rich in several vitamins, minerals, and dietary fibers thus making them a must have fruit to beat the summer heat.
- Cucumber : Though not truly a vegetable, cucumber is the first thing that comes in our minds for a soothing solution for summers. It is best taken as the salad. It is rich in water content and enriches our bodies with minerals like calcium, iron, manganese, zinc, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, and magnesium. The mighty cucumber is also rich in proteins and dietary fibers.
- Green Leafy Vegetables : Green vegetables retain more moisture content thus are richer in water and other necessary vitamins and minerals. These are easy to digest and keep our body light thus reducing the bloating.
- Mint : Mint is a wonder creation made for soothing our bodies in summers. It provides a cool and refreshing effect instantly after intake thus relaxing our senses and cooling down our body temperature. It can be added to smoothies, juices, shakes, salads, and pasta to get a cool and refreshing flavor.
- Iced Tea/Coffee : Tea and coffee contain several antioxidants which help us to keep our bodies nourished and boost immunity. You can make refreshing drinks using tea and coffee in summers and gulp it down anytime you want. All you need to have is a few cubes of ice and a little creativity!
- Fresh Fruit Juices : If you are on a really busy schedule, then gulping down a glass of fresh fruit juice is the best idea ever. You’ll see the difference for yourself! Consuming the fresh fruit juice in the morning will keep you active and nourished for long hours. Though you are advised to take a balanced water intake according to your BMI.
- Coconut Water : The best of the nature’s gifts for mankind! Coconut is full of nutrition that our body needs. Coconut water works wonders for our body, skin, blood and everything that comes in our minds!
So these were a few foods that we must infuse in our daily diets especially during summers to beat the summer heat. Eat less, eat often and stay hydrated. Have a happy and healthy summer!