With growing number of cases of cancer in women, their health has become a grave matter of concern. According to a research conducted by the American institute of Health, every 1 in 8 women is prone to the risk of Breast Cancer.
October is the international breast cancer awareness month. Various people from all across the globe participate in different activities to raise awareness and funds for women suffering from Breast Cancer. Earlier the type of cancer was diagnosed in women of age group 40 years and above but today, with growing exposure to carcinogens and other toxins, the disease is affecting even the minors.
Let’s stand together and raise awareness about the disease thus saving as many lives and make the world a better place to thrive and survive.
What is Breast Cancer?
Breast cancer occurs when the cells in the breast show abnormal growth or mutation. These factors may cause the cells to form tumors those can be rectified through X-Rays or can be felt as a lump while self-examination. These tumors are malignant (can spread throughout the body) thus need to be removed the soonest.
Who is at the risk of Breast Cancer?
The type of cancer is usually found in women of age 40 and above, especially those going through or past their menopause. But with a growing exposure to toxins and carcinogens found in processed foods, cosmetics, drugs, and pollution, the disease has started to affect even the younger girls in their late teens.
Moreover, following factors are the prime notes to look after:
- Family History : Women who belong from a family with a history of cancer patients should note that the disease might be running in their genes too. Women who inherit BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene mutations are at a higher risk of developing Breast, uterine, or Ovarian Cancers. These women are advised to undergo regular screenings to keep the signs in check.
- Obesity : With a higher obesity rate, the availability of fatty tissues, fibrous tissue, and glandular tissues are more. The excess of these tissues might provide enough cells for carcinogens or oncogenes to deposit and cause cancer.
- Delayed or No Pregnancy : We are bound by nature and its laws and nature have decided a time slot for every human activity accordingly. Women who delay childbirth are at a greater risk of hormonal imbalance as they are either on oral or IUC devices. Women who have children at right time, their bodies balance between the progesterone and oestrogen levels naturally.
How can we prevent Breast Cancer? Is it even possible?
With an active exercise regime, intake of natural foods over processed foods, and regular screenings, doctors suggest that Breast Cancer can be prevented up to a great extent. However; there are many toxins and cancer causing agents present in water and air that we inhale. So it is advised to keep an eye on your body even if you don’t have any family history of Breast or any other kind of cancer.
What are the Symptoms of Breast Cancer?
- The presence of lump(s) that are hard or sometimes soft, irregular in shape and can be felt with a thorough examination of breasts.
- Swelling entire or on a part of a breast.
- Skin irritation or rash.
- Pain in breast(s) or nipple(s).
- Abnormal discharge.
What to do if diagnosed with Breast Cancer?
If it has already affected you, then panicking is not an option. The stage of your breast cancer determines the nature of treatment you will receive. If it is just the basic stage, then the chemotherapy and removal of tumor might do the task. But in later stages, you must be prepared for mastectomy, the removal of breasts.
The world has seen many brave women fight breast cancer and lead a completely normal life. The innovation in technology and medical science has now made it easier to diagnose and treat breast cancer even before the symptoms start to appear. You can also help yourself and your loved ones by booking diagnostic tests this very moment.
It is now easier with the availability of various healthcare software applications that you can use in your smartphones right at your fingertips. With these apps, you can also buy medicines online and donate cancer related medicines in charity or someone needy fighting bravely with breast cancer.