Are those white flakes making you embarrassed in the public gatherings and your favorite black dress is still unused? You are probably experiencing dandruff! Medically termed as seborrheic dermatitis, is mostly seen in the adolescent age or the growing ages which are sometimes carried on till 20’s.
Apart from the flaky skin and the itchy scalp, there is a lot what dandruff can do to you! For the people having acne prone skin with a combination of dandruff can experience major acne breakouts mostly on the forehead and onto the skin where your hairs get rubbed or even touched. As shocking as it may seem, acne can even worsen with increasing dandruff which can lead to skin redness and itchy scalp altogether.
How is acne and dandruff related?
You may experience dandruff irrespective of your skin condition, yes, dandruff causes due to dry scalp but, people with oily skin can also face flaky skin.
- Dry scalp – Dry skin produces dead skin flakes further leading to clogged hair and skin pores which cause acne and dandruff.
- Oily scalp – Oily skin secretes excessive oil due to hyperactive oil glands with contributes in having clogged hair and skin pores and causes acne and dandruff.
What are the causes of dandruff?
There is no accurate cause of dandruff till date but there can be some possible causes :-
- Excess oil production
- Increased skin secretions
- Increase in skin yeast
- Poor hygiene of the scalp
- Emotional and mental stress
What are the symptoms of dandruff?
The major symptom of dandruff is tiny pimples on the forehead and the hairline areas, other symptoms included :
- White flakes on dark clothing
- Itchy scalp
- Dry facial skin
- Dandruff on eyebrows
How can dandruff be treated?
Dandruff can be treated by using anti dandruff shampoos and the treatments available in the salons, there are various shampoos available depending on which one suits you.
Home remedies to treat dandruff
If no shampoo suits you, try the natural products. Here are some hair & skin packs to let you feel relaxed.
- Yogurt and lemon – Both the ingredients contain acidic properties. In a small bowl take some curd and add few drops of lemon in it. Wisk it to make a thick paste, apply on the scalp and the forehead for 15-20 min. rinse with cold water, use shampoo a day later.
- Coconut oil – Use warm coconut oil on the scalp and relax with a nice hair massage, it makes your hair soothe and your scalp can limit producing the dryness. Do not apply the same on the face. Wash after an hour or so with a mild shampoo.
- Aloe Vera gel – Aloe Vera absorbs the anti-fungal and antioxidant properties in the skin and ease the skin from toxins and clogged pores. Apply Aloe Vera gel on the scalp and let it rest for 15 minutes. Rinse with water.
- Almond oil – Rich in Vitamin-E, almond oil is the best source to keep your hairs shiny and healthy. It can help in getting rid of dandruff and eliminating itchiness and dryness from the scalp.
If dandruff does not go away, consult a skin doctor and go for a treatment recommended by the medical practitioner.