A dog is man’s best friend, it cannot deny the fact that he is an animal! He can be unpredictable and violent. Although people believe their pets cannot harm but the reality denies the misconception. Every dog including your favorite pet can bite anyone.
Dogs are found on the streets, in the houses and even in the cars with people carrying them all over. They can be dirty, nasty, obedient, civilized or luxurious too but the differences in their personality and breed cannot make them educated and well-mannered like humans.
Well, we know they bite and it can harm us in many ways but what could be the reason? Let’s analyze-:
Why does a dog bite?
A dog’s bite is not always a secret intention to harm a person, it can be due to the following reasons too.
- Protection :- The dog may have an Intention to protect his possession like any dish, water or something.
- Self Defense :- He may think you are going to hurt him and thus can bite you, it would not be an intention to hurt but it can be self-defense.
- He is irritated :- The dog may be irritated and due to his confusion and irritated nature he can bite.
- Excitement :- Dogs love to play, they may be very much excited and can bite a person in that case.
Whatever may be the reason, a dog bite can injure you and it’s a medical emergency but yes it does not mean you need to take 14 injections crushing your stomach! This only happens in worse cases when the bite is deep resulting in unstoppable bleeding or the wound turns brownish in color.
What are the treatments to cure a dog bite?
As Dog bite is a medical emergency, we need to work out hard instantly. As one cannot rush to the hospital instantly, they can do first aid at home.
First aid steps at home-:
- Place a clean towel over the injury to stop any bleeding.
- Try to keep the injured area elevated.
- Wash the bite carefully with soap and water.
- Apply a sterile bandage to the wound.
- Apply antibiotic ointment to the injury every day to prevent infection
Is it important to visit a doctor?
Yes, of course! First aid is the foremost medical help which can help the wound to settle down for some time but it does not cut down the risk of infection. Visiting a doctor is very much necessary to get rid of all the upcoming diseases.
You should keep some facts ready to be disclosed at the doctor’s clinic :-
- If you have diabetes, liver disease or some illness which suppress your immune system then you are at a higher risk of getting into a trouble.
- If you know the dog who has bitten you, confirm if he is updated with the rabies vaccination.
- Is the dog provoked to bite or he did it by accident.
- Is there are cuts on the skin and bleeding doesn’t stop you need to call 911 and get emergency help.
Symptoms and prevention for a severe dog bite?
Severe dog bite symptoms can include-:
- Heavy Swelling around the bitten area.
- Redness all over.
- Large cut.
- Deep wound.
- Foul smell around the area.
- Fever, thirst, shivering and dizziness.
- Pain or sore feeling near the bite.
Prevention can include the following-:
- Injection medicines
In such cases consult the doctor immediately. Stay away from animals whom you are unaware of, try and avoid too much contact. Stay fit and healthy!