Salt is the essence to taste. Not just an important ingredient but a flavor without which every dish seems tasteless. As health authorities have been warning us to limit the salt intake in order to maintain good health and eliminate the risk of various diseases but, there are contradictions for the same.
Where salt may trigger the atrocious diseases, it also contributes in offering some health benefits. While we debate if salt is good for health or not, there are some other factors to bring in notice!
How much salt one should consume?
Everything keeps well in a certain limit. The salt intake surely boosts the taste but it is dangerous if the intake comes to be less or more than the daily limit. One should consume 2300mg salt a day to fulfill the daily sodium requirement of the body. Opting for less than this leads to sodium deficiency which is the leading cause of increasing death rates.
What kind of salt should be consumed?
The regular processed salt is always better than no salt but, the best option would be unrefined salt. Unrefined salt is rich in trace minerals and free from additives.
How is salt good for health?
- Maintains stomach PH levels- The stomach needs proper PH balance in order to keep the digestion process healthy.
- Improves the sleep quality- Salt can improve the sleep quality as it boosts anti-stress and anti-excitatory qualities and that in turn ensures a peaceful sleep.
- Adequate salt supports balanced hormones. Hormone and nutrition researcher Ray Peat explains the correlation between the salt-regulating hormone aldosterone and mineral loss.
- Provides Nutrients- Salt provides the essential nutrients needed for the body. It also fulfills the lost salt in the form of sweat.
How is salt bad for health?
- Blood pressure – Excess of salt intake can trigger the risk of high blood pressure which can lead to heart attack and stroke. To control, the same one needs to opt for regular physical exercises and a strict healthy diet.
- Obesity – Obesity is also one of the issues related to Hypertension. High salt intake may also be the cause of obesity. Salt may not increase your hunger but it can make you feel thirsty, you will be intaking fluids if the fluids are the sugary drinks then it will be the leading cause of obesity.
- Asthma – High salt diet can also cause Asthma, lower the consumption of salt may reduce the risk and thus it will lower down the risk.
- Stomach Cancer- High salt diet can increase the risk of stomach cancer. Salt can damage the stomach lining and worsen the case a person can end up having cancer.
Concluding the debate, to stay healthy and fit a person needs to be updated with the amount of regular salt intake which should be quite accurate and not less or more than required.